Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Drabble Challenge: Day 6

    Well, the determination to write Vena all month lasted all of six days. Heh. I kinda had the urge to scrawl some Jaz (that black-ops soldier with the suicide mission?) and so today's prompt went to her. Apologies to those who were curious over Vena and that mysterious dude. I honestly have no idea if he played any important role in anything.


    Drabble Challenge: Day 6 - flame
    Word Count: 373     Minimum Goal: 360

    A wall of flame. Searing pain across her body.
    Jaz awoke with a jerk, but not a noise left her. Training was ingrained far too deeply into her to allow for that.
    Drawing in a silent breath, she sat up, swung her legs over the side of the cot, and let her eyes adjust to the darkness around her. She could hear Tracey breathing across the room and got to her feet.
    Sidestepping around the broken furniture, Jasmine went out onto the rickety balcony, only opening the sliding glass door far enough to get out and before it could squeal in protest. The night air was cold, but the gooseflesh that broke out across her bare arms was a relief. 
    She could still feel the fire. The fire that must’ve put her in that hospital where she’d woken up, alone and with no idea about where she’d come from. 
    The railing groaned in protest when the woman leaned her forearms against it, staring out over the slumbering city. Most of the buildings were dark, the only light coming from the street lamps, although in this sector, very few of those were still functioning. 
    There were never even any impressions. Of where she might’ve been before she lost her memories. The doctor at the hospital had said that some people would get feelings when they revisited places they’d been prior to their memory loss. Jaz hadn’t had any and she and Tracey had been a lot of places in the last year.
    She let out a quiet breath, letting her head hang. Her hair, finally growing back, obscured her peripherals. 
    It didn’t matter to her too much. Remembering. She had a life, one that she was comfortable with, working as a mercenary with Tracey to watch her back. It’d taken her a long time to trust the other woman with her back, but she’d earned it when a job in a palace went sideways.
    Jaz just had a nagging feeling that she’d had ties somewhere that had been important to her. Probably in some type of task force or military, considering the type of reflexes and instincts she’d woken up with.
    A brief smile pulled at the corner of her mouth. That poor nurse…



    Again, my apologies. This random person got the spontaneous urge to write some Jaz, so I wrote some Jaz. (You know, if you say that out loud, if you took it out of context, I'd sound like a musician.)

    So hopefully you all found this interesting, and just as a random note, I have a friend whose eighteenth birthday is today, so.... Happy Birthday to him. ^_^ (Not that I think he reads my blog, but, all the same.)

    And lots of parenthesis today. Just feeling like it, I guess. Breaking Benjamin, parenthesis, and a random bike ride. I stink right now and I never really stink, so this is quite interesting. 

    But, I'll go now.

    Ad astra per aspera.
    To the stars through difficulties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, critiques?