Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Drabble Challenge: Day 5

    I don't think there is a way to express how much I like this cover of "Roar" by Katy Perry. Because I am in serious love and it's just.... sorry, covers.

    Seriously though, these things are getting harder. It's not a five minute scrawl now. More like ten. It's going to take me an hour to do over 1,500 words. Yaaaay. (Expression of the week, my apologies.)


        Drabble Challenge: Day 5 - haze
    Word Count: 319    Minimum Goal: 300

    Vena lifted her head off the cold cobblestones, drawing in an unsteady breath. Memory filtered back through her semi-conscious haze. Walking back from scrounging up dinner, running across a couple of men beating another man, getting in the middle of it.
    One of them had backhanded her and the brick of the building at her back hadn’t been forgiving.
    Coughing, she pushed herself onto her elbows, muttering, “I hate the city….”
    Something trickled along the bridge of her nose and when Vena reached to brush it away, her fingers came away dark. She assumed it was blood, despite the dark sky overhead. It must not have been too many hours ago that she lost consciousness.
    A moan sounded nearby. Jerking upright, Vena tried to catch sight of the source of the noise even as her head swam, blotting her vision with black.
    “Who’s there?” Her voice cracked and she wished it hadn’t. Out of instinct, she pulls one of the gloves off her hands. Being a mindpath didn’t have many good points, but protection was one of them and she wasn’t afraid to do what she had to.
    Another muffled noise, then the shuffle of clothing. “Who’s….there…?”
    Vena was sure she recognized that voice. “You’re that—that man, with the friends.”
    “…friends?”
    She is unapologetic for her term, putting her fingers to her forehead again, trying to find the source of the blood. The alley is very quiet; more quiet than she thought it should be, but it was a ways out of the way. The fact that they’d never been found also evidenced that conclusion.
    There was a grunt, more shuffling, then a long breath. “Are you who distracted them?”
     Male, as she’d known. Younger than originally thought. “I suppose. I was passing by and saw the party. Wasn’t sure how much more your face could take.”
     He made a small noise of tired humor. “Well, thank you.”


    And that is today's drabble and I want to try and get another couple episodes of tv in before I have to hit the sack. Maybe. If it decides it wants to buffer. Blasted thing has been crawling all day long. Ah well.

    Ad astra per aspera.
    To the stars, through difficulties.

2 comments:

  1. Wait, friends? What friends? Who's the man? WHAT HAPPENS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My apologies; that was meant in an entirely sarcastic way. She meant the guys who were beating him up. And I have no idea who the guy is or what happens. :D

    ReplyDelete

Questions, comments, critiques?