Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Drabble Challenge: Day 2

    Okay, I spent a little more time on today's prompt, so hopefully it'll be a bit more worth your while. I also went eighty-something words over my minimum, hitting the original goal that I had laid out for myself before realizing I did not need to have built up that many words by the end of the months. Not that I'm going to complain, though.


    Drabble Challenge: Day 2 - accusation
    Word Count: 202    Minimum Goal: 120

    “I know what you are.” The man’s voice was equal parts hard and uncertain. Not surprising; people tended to react that way. “Mindpath.”
    Vena feigned interested in his statement, brows rising as she leaned back in her unsteady chair. “Oh, is that what I’m called? I had no idea.” That accusation had long ago lost its sting, now leaving only a bitter aftertaste on her tongue when she witnessed the way her ability repulsed those who happened to discover it.
    “Your kind won’t survive. She will see you all extinguished, like the uncontrollable flames you are.” His dark eyes glittered with an anger she’d only ever seen in devout followers or twisted leaders.
    If her own temper hadn’t already been kindled, Vena thought she might’ve pitied him for this blind, unseeing faith, having no knowledge about whom for which he fought. 
    “Don’t count on it,” she replied at last, leveling a steady stare at him, not intimidated by the declaration. But she knew what she had to do. This informant couldn’t walk out of here retaining information about her to take back to his mistress.
    With a swift glance about the quiet tavern, Vena leaned forward and tapped the tabletop with one finger.


    And that's it for today. A bit bland, I know, but life is rather completely overwhelming me currently and it's a challenge to not drop anything, meaning I haven't a bunch of brain power to put into my drabbles at the moment. 

    I hope you all are faring well and that your road is proving to be well paved.

    Ad astra per aspera.
    To the stars, through difficulties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, critiques?