Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Writing: Deviant Ruusan, Random

   Think of this as an Easter Egg, since it's been a bit since I last posted anything and I feel bad, but I don't have very much to post without some major searching/editing at the moment.

   Life. It eats me alive. And for that, I apologize.

   So, a small blip from the deviant storyline that I scrawled on my laptop this evening as we drove back to Seoul from Osan after we dropped off some friends of ours at the base there.

   As Ruusan will explain but I will point out for understanding's sake prior to your reading the scrawl, this takes place twenty-eight (give or take) hours after Jhidek and Ruusan got married. It cuts off a bit suddenly due to our arriving home.

   Also, please not that Uhric/Uhrician is based off Asia, and I kind of grafted it into a more Japanese type of culture, including the language, which you will see in this bit.

   "Sensei" is probably one of the most well known Japanese honorifics, meaning "teacher", "doctor", or even "writer", on occasion.

   "San" is a more general honorific, similar to "Miss", "Mrs.", or "Mr."

   "Chan" is a suffix most commonly added to female names as an endearment, I believe, although it is usually applied to younger women, so Nanami is being cute by calling Ruusan "Ruu-chan."

   With this in mind, please enjoy!


    She'd delayed as long as possible, hoping to catch Jay for at least a couple of minutes before she'd have to bolt out the door, but in the end she'd had to leave before he'd gotten back.
    Despite that, Ruusan strolls into the Emergency Room of Mercy General Hospital with high spirits and a smile that she can't keep from her face. She goes to the desk to sign in, pleased to see that Nanami Kim, one of the two head nurses for the night shift, was minding the position near the door.
    "Schaefe-sensei, it's great to see you back!" The older woman greets with a bright smile.
    Ruu signs her name on the datapad with the ease of routine as she replies, "I must admit, it's nice to be back." The majority of the talking done in the ER is in Uhrician, but she makes the shift over with ease. "It was a long four weeks on Kahn. Remind me to never make a return to being a student, will you?"
    Nanami's dark gaze narrows as she studies the doctor. "There's something different about you..."
    She puts on her best innocent expression, leaning her forearms against the desk. "I have no idea what you're talking about, Nanami-san."
    Thirty-three years old to her twenty-five years, married for almost seven years and a nurse for eight, Nanami's experience is invaluable to Ruusan, but her knowledge has also afforded her astuteness, and it's coming to the surface now.
    "You're smiling."
    Her brows rise. "I'm always smiling."
    Nanami shakes her head, fingers tapping restlessly on the desk. "No, no, that's your work smile," she insists. "This smile is different."
    It's habit to reach up and push back the curls already escaping from her tightly braided hair, but Ruusan has forgotten about the band around her ring finger that glitters in the white lights of the hospital.
    The nurse gasps when she spots it and Ruu freezes for a moment, unsure of what has startled her but then realizes what is displayed on her hand.
    "You didn't...." She says, and Ruu can't decide if the woman is elated or aghast. "You were gone four weeks!"
    "We'd been seeing each other prior to that," she says, feeling merciful even as a content smile pulls at the corner of her mouth. "Things just came to a head while I was on Kahn."
    Nanami leans back in her chair, shaking her head in amazement. "You actually got married. You, who has brushed off so many prospective suitors without even seeing them."
    Ruu shrugs simply, and a call of her name catches her attention. Turning, she sees Tanaka approaching, a broad grin on his features.
    "Ruusan! You can't imagine how nice it is to see you; the replacement, to be honest, is a pain to work with." His blunt opinion spoke of how long they'd been friends and Ruu freely embraces the man when he nears.
    "It's great to see you too, Tanaka," she greets warmly, pleased to see her coworker again.
    "Don't let her fool you, Tanaka," Nanami cuts in, eyeing the young doctor with a teasing glint in her gaze. "Ruu-chan has news for us."
    His brows rise at the inflection in the nurse's tone, and he glances at Ruusan questioningly.
    She doesn't bother hiding it, holding up her left hand in silent explanation.
    Tanaka blinks in surprise. "You're.... married."
    "I am," Ruusan confirms, smiling. She'd have to start getting her last name changed in the million different places that she's listed as Schaefe....
    "And when was this, my pretty, but very oblivious to male attention, coworker?" He questions, leaning against the counter, his interest piqued.
    Ruu knows they'll have to get to work soon, but obliges their curiosity for the moment, amused with their reactions. "We went to the law office with our families yesterday afternoon."
    "No wedding?" Nanami puts in, her arms crossed over her desk. Her surprise is clear on her face.
    "Nope." Ruu shakes her head once. "Didn't need one, and we only had a short window of opportunity after I got done with the course on Kahn."
    Tanaka seems impressed. "I hope he knows how lucky he is, getting away with no ceremony. Those things are expensive."
    "Exactly the point I brought up, and trust me, he was more than content with the trip to the law office," Ruusan has to rein in her humor, remembering his response when she'd proposed the practical solution.
    Nanami clucks her tongue impatiently. "Enough stalling now, Ruusan. I want a name, a job, and how long you two have known each other."
    The younger woman laughs and doesn't offer even token resistance to the nurse's orders. "His name is Jhidek Vhander, his family works in the private security sector, and I've technically known him since I was a kid, but we just ran into each other again in the past few months." The temptation to edit his occupation is strong, but Ruu knows they'll never believe something so far-fetched as wandering dentist, or landscape artist.
    "So now we have to call you Vhander-sensei instead of Schaefe-sensei. That'll take some getting used to." Tanaka states, a musing note to his voice. "You know, you probably could've taken some time off."
   "I know, but time off doesn't really exist in his world, and I've been gone for so long already that I didn't want to abandon you guys for much longer."



   As for Ruusan putting Jhidek's job as being "private security", Uhric is not known to be welcoming to bounty hunters, which is what Jhidek and his family are, so she purposefully construed his job as different from what it really is; not from a lack of knowledge.

  And don't worry; she will have plenty of fun telling kids at an orphanage that she volunteers at that she's married a free-lance dentist who does horticulture as a hobby.

   With that, I hope you found this brief blip humorous, and I hope that I'll be able to get something more edited/written for you all to peruse at some point in the near future.

   Thank you so much for reading!

   As astra per aspera.
   To the stars, through difficulties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, critiques?