It does help that I have some built up writing, but still. Keep an eye on what occurs outside your window today, just in case.
As the title might suggest, this is more for Trinity's prompt from forever and a day ago, where Jandy and Dechlan are bodyguards for Lindsey and Sean, who are being hunted by Jade and Jase. It is, predictably, a bit of a skip from my last (and only other) post for this prompt.
The idea for the events preceding this scrawl occurred to me, and then the actual motivation to write came when I considered the aftermath. As usual.
It's going to be a bit confusing, but Dech helps clear things up near the end, so bear with me.
He was there, Jandy could feel him, feel every fiery hot emotion burning in him, through him, through them, but she couldn’t reach back. Couldn’t find him. Didn’t know where he was.
Wrong. This was wrong. Something was wrong.
There was fog everywhere, filling her mind, causing her thoughts to mire, helplessness rising when she was unable to touch Dechlan and calm his chaotic thoughts.
Even her body was unresponsive to her wishes. Her fingers wouldn’t twitch and her eyes wouldn’t open. If there hadn’t been a tube down her throat helping her to breathe, Jandy thought her heart may have just stopped beating.
It felt like she was suffocating and she couldn’t lift a hand to do anything about it. Pleasepleasepleaseplease—she felt like panicking in a way that she hadn’t in years. Not since Jane.
“Hey, it’s alright,” Dechlan’s voice reached her, but it was as if through a window. Muffled, fuzzy, muted.
Jandy didn’t know when he’d approached. Had he been there the whole time? Why wouldn’t her eyes open?
There was a gentle caress across her forehead, fingers sifting through her hair. She felt the brush of blunt fingernails on her scalp. “Calm down. It’s alright. You’re okay.” Unchanging, soothing, quiet.
She didn’t want to listen but she did, drawing her consciousness together to focus on Dechlan, his touch, the contrast of his racing thoughts to his calm presence, the safety just knowing he was close brought.
“I’m right here, Jandy. You’re not alone.” There as a slight pressure against her brow, momentary and mystifying. “The doctors gave you a paralytic. You can’t move until you’re on the mend.”
Mend from what? Panic rushed back in almost as quickly as it had fled. Choking, consuming, asphyxiating. There was nothing. Nothing in her memories. Nothing, nothing, nothing—
“Jandy.” Dechlan didn’t shout—he never did, not at her—but the force behind her name was impossible to ignore.
She struggled to breathe with the ventilator, her racing heart wanting faster lungful’s of air that she couldn’t draw in on her own.
“Don’t fight it. Just breathe. Okay? Breathe. You’re alright. I’m right here.” Dechlan’s voice was low and even, and Jandy could feel the tips of his fingers sifting through her hair in a repeating but calming path.
It was hard to dismiss the way his thoughts seemed to batter against the bubble, unruly and anarchic. There was too much fog to make out what was upsetting him. Too much fog. She couldn’t reach him.
“It’s the painkillers, Jandy. It’s okay. There’s nothing wrong. You’re going to be fine.”
Jandy would’ve gotten mad at him if she’d had more presence of mind. Nothing was wrong, her drugged and immobile backside. She felt adrift on a choppy ocean, with no sail and no paddle, knowing where she needed to go but having no way to get there. It was maddening and exhausting and she just wanted to move.
“You can’t, Jandy. Okay? You can’t. The doctor said if you move too much at this point there’s—there’s nothing he’ll be able to do to save you a second time.” Emotion crushed his words, causing jaggedness like she’d never felt from him before.
Helplessness choked her. He need her, her partner needed her, her Dechlan needed her.
Compared to some of the feats—a few of bravery, most of stupidity—that she’d accomplished in her time, breaking through the hold of the painkillers on her mind wasn’t difficult once she gathered herself and shoved.
Her senses were still dulled, sounds distant and movement impossible and her vision dark, but the clarity that washed through Jandelyn’s mind helped compensate. Dechlan was suddenly very there, and the return of the usual precision and transparency of their bond flooded her with relief.
The reason for his wayward emotions, usually so under control, became painful in its clearness.
Jandy’s blood was still on his shirt. In his hair. Under his nails.
The memories that had eluded her in her drugged state came back… from Dechlan’s eyes. The impenetrable glass that wouldn’t cave under a heavy blow from his booted foot. The chaos of the fleeing hotel guests. That alarm, every wail sending fresh waves of hysteria.
Her, slumped against a wall, blood seeping from an innocuously small wound to her chest. Too close to her heart. Staining her white button-up red.
A dark head of hair bent over her, a hand grasping her chin, forcing her head towards him, but not stemming the flow of her life-force. Culprit.
Desperation. Uselessness. Rage. He was on the outside, but he was the one who was trapped.
Finally getting back inside. The offender having disappeared. Easing her into his arms, one hand clamping down over the bullet hole. Lack of any response from her. Shouting for an ambulance to be called now.
Stay, stay, stay.
Don’t go anywhere.
Blast it all, Jandy.
Jandy didn’t realize she was crying until Dechlan’s touch against her cheek brought her out of his memories. He smoothed away the moisture, lingering. She could feel his exhaustion now. The staggering relief. A lingering desire to hunt down whoever had done this.
Wishing she could do more, she soothed her partner’s mind with her own, seeking relief for him through the reassurance that she was alive.
I’m not going anywhere. I’ve got too much to live for.
Mwuahaha. Ha. Ha.
I am so sorry.
Yeah, so, Jandelyn got shot with some futuristic, high-tech sniper round that tore her up pretty good. We can thank Jade for that, and then, if it wasn't clear, Jase was the one who approached her. I think he was questioning her, but I'm waiting for Jandy to get her and her partner's sensibilities back and remember what happened.
There's your dose of daily drama, hope you enjoyed it!
Off to either work on math or sort through other recent-ish writing projects. We'll see.
Thank you for reading!
Ad astra per aspera.
To the stars, through difficulties.
No fear, I'm still around! I've just been busy and commenting on my phone is a pain... But I'm here! And if I had known the difficulties I'd be causing for Jandy and Dech, I might've changed my prompt! D: (Though I comfort myself with the knowledge that's it's not really my fault, it's yours, and anything prompt I had with Jandy and Dechlan would've ended up with them in distress.) Naughty Jade.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm gonna put my comment for your Abnormality, Not Prodigy here because my phone really hates commenting. It's really cool. I can't wait to find out more about that little world. But I am a little confused because I don't remember who Jaz is. You really like J names. Jade, Jase, Jandy, Jaz... And the lady that was part dragon? I forget her name. Unless that was Jaz... My poor brain. Maybe you should make a character reference page. :P
Me? Worried? Naaaah. (ohmygoshit'sreallynicetoseeyou) Totally understand, though. It's a crazy period of life for everybody, settling back into school and all. And dude, I can always find ways to make their lives difficult, no matter what prompt you choose. XD Those two are so close that it's fun to find things to throw at them, just to see what shakes loose. But yes, naughty Jade. She doesn't feel bad. She's doing what she needs to. >_> And it's not like Jandy is dead, so they should be grateful for that.
DeleteHee, righto. Glad you liked it, though! I sat and scrawled five pages of stuff out in one evening. Writing is an off/on tap, honestly. Yeaaaaah, sorry. Jaz aka Jasmine O'Haire. She's the black-ops captain (though that title is subject to change) who goes and gets amnesia later after a mission? And the dragon was Jaq.
...a character reference page might be handy. *ponders*
Thank you for your faithful commenting! It makes me smile like an idiot. :D