So, a short post, just as a heads-up. I created a new character to weave into Jasmine "Jaz" O'Haire's story. And I love him to pieces. Because he's amazing and turned out to be just what Jaz needed if she were ever to settle down.
This scrawl is liable to change in the future as I work out the kinks in the timeline and Jaz's reactions to certain changes in her life. And if I probably didn't make it clear, this is Renner and Jaz's first meeting.
In a hospital, of course.
Jaz was quiet—displeased, unhappy, sulky—as the orderly wheeled her into her new hospital room. Seventy-hours in intensive care had gotten her to a point where they were comfortable with moving her to a regular room.
She was mad. Mad she’d let that guy close, mad she hadn’t realized the knife had been laced with poison, mad her team had had to carry her sick, feverish body back to Busan, where she’d been promptly admitted to a sterile prison and chained to one bed or another by her own weakness.
It took her a minute to realize that the other bed in the room—the one nearer the window that was letting streams of bright sunshine in to paint the floor and brush the walls—was occupied. But there was no time to study her new roomie because her wheelchair came to a halt beside her newest cage.
“Alright, up we get,” the orderly was a middle-aged man, who, while pleasant, took way too much satisfaction from doing his job. He slid his arms under hers and used the positioning to hoist her up onto her feet, cautious of the IV taped to the skin of her forearm.
Jaz could do very little to even help keep her upright. The poison had been fast acting and merciless. It’d ravaged through her and the doctor had said that she was lucky that she’d gotten to them when she had. Having to throw her own strength into flickering home had only sped the toxin’s effects.
He maneuvered the wheelchair out of the way with one foot, bracing his arm around her back to support her while flipping the covers back. Jasmine sagged back against him, face burning with shame at being unable to do something so simple as stand. The final humiliating blow was when he scooped her up—bridal style—to deposit her with care amongst the starched sheets.
It was mortifying, she was mortified, and knew it would show, which made nothing about her situation easier to handle.
Orderly Matt just smiled, pulled the blankets up to her collarbone, and went about connecting her to the heart-rate monitor. The IV bag was transferred from the rod on the wheelchair to a wheeled stand beside the monitoring devices, the appropriate cords being shifted and plugged in.
The young soldier sat in stiff silence until he finished, jade eyes fixed on a spot on the opposing wall.
“The doctor will be by to check on you later.” Was his closing remark as he left, taking the wheelchair with him and making sure to close the door behind himself.
Jaz lifted a shaking hand to drag it over her face, struggling to sit up. They’d been gone two months and she’d already almost gotten herself killed trying to prove herself to her new team, despite her placement with them only being temporary. Her anger caved in to exhaustion, loneliness welling up in its wake.
The tube for her IV drip dragged across the folds in her covers as she wrapped her arms around her legs and leaned her forehead into her knees, tremors whispering through her body, mocking her weakness.
She was stronger than this, she knew she was. She’d made it so far without them and she was going to do it again. Becoming special forces was something she had decided to do, something that she would have to do on her own strength.
Zack and Dan not only had potential, but a pedigree to match. They had been chosen to receive special training because of it.
Jaz wasn’t special, she didn’t have the same blue blood as most, but she would become the best that she could be. It would just take a bit more time and determination for her.
Lifting her head with a steadying breath, Jasmine blinked the slight moisture from her eyes. And glanced towards the window. And startled to find a gaze trained on her profile. Then Jaz felt like hitting herself upside the head for forgetting about her roomie.
It only took her a moment to sort through who he was, jade eyes taking in unkempt black hair and equally dark eyes before placing him in her memories. Two years ahead of her class, from a very wealthy and very old family, known for being well ahead of his own age group. Renner Mason, in all his… pale, pained, somewhat pathetic glory.
“Wow.” First word in her head, not necessarily her first choice of things to actually say.
Her roomie’s expressionless visage shifted into a frown.
Jaz blinked, then shrugged. “Sorry. I’m surprised they put commoners with the nobility. I might give you poverty, you know.” She said poverty as a seven-year-old might say “cooties” and took some pleasure out of the line that appeared between his brows.
Because flummoxing one of Busan’s top minds could only be a bright spot in her day. Maybe even her week, considering how said week had been going for her thus far.
“…Busan General does not discriminate based on monetary status.” Renner was still frowning—at her, no less—as if he had no idea what she was talking about.
Jaz snorted. “Keep telling yourself that, Captain Mason.”
He blinked, but didn’t ask how she knew his name. Jaz suspected he got it a lot, as accomplished a soldier as he was.
“We haven’t met.” Statement, not a question.
Guessing that perks like sharp memory came with being a smart person, the woman shrugged. “Nope. My class was two years behind yours.”
“Aa.”
“Yup.”
Silence.
Jaz fought her grin as long as she could, then turned her head to lay it on her arms so she could watch him and not have to expend energy at the same time. “Tyro O’Haire, sir.”
One brow rose, but dark eyes didn’t flick towards her this time. “It’s a pleasure.” Bland, bored, whatever emotion was the farthest from pleased.
It wasn’t silent treatment, which was a good start. Though she did have experience with his type. Zach was a watered down version of Renner Mason and his big, bad, silent guy routine. Or, had been. Who knew what having pure, uninterrupted exposure to Dan for five years would do to him.
Snorting to herself, jade-green eyes wandered around the plain hospital room. There was a cluster of blooming flowers in a glass vase next to Mason’s bed, on the far side from her. She wondered who’d brought them then settled her gaze on the sunlight that was creeping onto the foot of her bed.
A catnap sounded very appealing all of a sudden.
Reaching behind her with care, Jaz snagged her pillow and tossed it to the opposite end of her bed before crawling over to lay down on her back. She preferred sleeping on her side, but there was no lesser evil to turn her back to right at the moment. Renner Mason and the large windows to her right, the door into the room on her left.
So she chose the middle ground, where she could see both directions in her peripherals, and let her exhausted body relax in preparation for sleep.
Renner was noiseless on his side of the room and between the quiet and the warmth of the sunbeams caressing her skin, Jasmine slipped into unconsciousness in minutes.
At this point and for the next while, the best way to characterize their relationship is to say that Jasmine flummoxes Renner. In a good way. She's just very far removed from the society and standards that he grew up with.
New Terminology Note: Jaz introduces herself as "Tyro O'Haire". Tyro is defined as "a person who has just started beginning or doing something: a beginner or novice" (Merriam-Webster Dictionary). I have described Jaz as a soldier, but didn't want to adhere to the traditional ranking system. Thus, the terms Tyro, Elite, Primary Elite, Captain, Commander, and Chief Commander have been added to this story world to describe different ranks in Busan's Special Forces. Don't worry, I'll go into it in depth again at another point down the road.
Why no, I didn't just come up with half of those ranks right this minute, why do you ask?
At any rate, let me know what you think, yeah? I ended up quite liking Ren as a character, even if he is less than a week old. He's a refreshing new face to add to the renovated versions of all the other characters and is a challenge to figure out how to write to boot. Again, in a good way.
This bit, if you're curious, takes place just a few months after Zach and Dan leave Busan to receive specialized training, the details to which I will expound upon at a later date. As a result, Jasmine is set adrift in the ranks, having no team to continue training with. She gets bounced around from team to team for a while until a month or two after this scribble, at which point she gets picked up by a Primary Elite by the name of Min who becomes her one-on-one teacher for a rather grueling nine-some months.
But that's another chapter in Jaz's life.
Three posts though! This is a record-breaking streak for this year and I am rather heartily pleased with myself, if I do say so myself.
Hope all is faring well for you guys. Don't forget that I don't bite (too hard) and that comments or critiques are always welcome.
Ad astra per aspera.
To the stars through difficulties.
Three posts in one month. I may faint from shock and happiness.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see where you go with Renner. It's nice to see characters that aren't the typical caustic-sarcastic-sullen characters I'm seeing everywhere. The ones that actually smile regularly. And Jaz reminds me of myself. I enjoy perplexing the males that have the misfortune to match wits with me. I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but my convoluted logic will confuse you like nobody's business.
Also, your description of her falling asleep makes me want to take a nap.
The only easier variation I could think of was Anomaly, Not Prodigy. Maybe rolls off the tongue slightly easier?
One thing other thing that stuck out to me was that you described her eyes as jade or jade-green three times in one snippet. It pulled me out of the story just a tad.
And the ranks are awesome. I wish I had thought of making up my own ranks a long time ago. I've had to check and double check whether or not so-and-so can be a commander if this other guy is a captain and so on because I'm just not that familiar with military rankings. :-/ I think I have a cheat sheet somewhere...
(I hope this extra long comment makes you grin extra idiotically. )
Wow I really hate my internet right now. This is round two on the reply, as my freshly completed reply from just now got wiped by a hiccup with something. Wheeee.
DeleteSo. First, my reaction to the email notification of your comment from nine hours ago.
// TRINITY I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF WILLIAMSBURG, STANDING BY MYSELF WITH A BABY STROLLER AND AM GRINNING LIKE AN ABSOLUTE FOOL. And doing a little dance. //
Word-for-word. I emailed it to myself. >_> /dork
I may join you in that dead faint, because I have surprised myself, trust me. Though it really only took doing a little kick in the pants and digging something up to post.
Your warm reception to Renner means a lot to me. And he really is kind of against-the-grain, isn't he? Quiet and reserved, as opposed to broody and angry that populates fiction nowadays. And that's seriously awesome. Three cheers for Trinity, the perplexer with convoluted logic! :D (I applaud your talen because I suck at quick and witty replies.)
Yeeaaah, sorry. But seriously, how can one resist that warm patch of sunlight, especially when it's in such a convenient spot as on the end of one's bed? Brings out the cat in one.
Anomaly is way better a mouthful to work with than Abnormality. I ran it past my sister (the Spock to my Kirk) and she thought it sounded fine. Although it was That Voice, indicating she wasn't quite sure why I was asking /her/ about it. Lesigh.
Oh yes, the eyes. I need to go fix that. It just happened that I'd found a descriptor for her eyes that I really liked and went a bit trigger happy with it, to say the least. >_> Heh.
Dude, even as a military brat, I haven't a clue when it comes to rank beyond the basics, let alone matching it to insignias or whatever those are called. Especially the lower ranks, because then you get into technicalities and it's a pain. But, 100% would recommend you find that cheat sheet. >_>
So yes. As always, THANK YOU FOR COMMENTING, AWESOME PERSON. :D