Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Prompt Challenge, from You to Me

    Alright, so I'm trying something new and exciting. The title might give you an inkling of what it is, but I'll give you the ten pages of backstory before clarifying further.

    I was poking through Tumblr the other day and wandered across several prompt challenges on people's blogs. Usually, they're used as prompts for fan fiction. But I always enjoyed the thought of those alternate universe prompts, even though I don't write fan fiction. 

    This led me to consider, why not just collect a bunch of prompts of various types and then pose them to you guys, my awesome followers, to pick and choose from. Let you guys challenge me as a writer and have some fun while doing it. 

    I have no idea whether or not this'll take, but figured it couldn't hurt. 

    In that line of thought, everybody is game. Character-wise. Whoever you'd like to choose, with whomever. Then you can choose any combination of the prompts I've dug up. There's a few different types, so yeah. I'm actually quite excited right now, despite being rather exhausted.

    And as a disclaimer, none of the following prompts are mine. I found them on Tumblr and just did a little editing.


AU!Setting Prompts:
  • space au
  • law enforcement au 
  • historical au
  • military au 
  • bodyguard au 
  • college au 
  • supernatural beings are known au
  • office au 
  • high school au
  • restaurant au 
  • circus au 
  • western au 
  • sports au
  • coffee shop au 

AU!Situation Prompts:
  • pretending to be married
  • game night
  • handcuffed together
  • snowed-in
  • next-door neighbors AU
  • fantasy AU
  • apocalypse fic
  • sharing a bed
  • road trip
  • kissing to save the day

AU!Who Does What Prompts:
  • who controls the netflix account and what have they dominated the suggestions with by watching
  • who snores
  • who has an embarrassing ringtone that the other calls them in public just to get it to go off
  • who sleeps on the top bunk if given the chance
  • who plays the piano at 6 in the morning to wake up the other 
  • who has accidentally set something on fire by attempting to cook a birthday meal 

One-Sentence Prompts from veiledinspiration.
  1. Often times he would glance up, make sure she was still there, exhale a sigh of relief, then go back to work. 
  2. She took one deep breath, accepted the fact that this party was going be a total train wreck, and walked in with a smile. 
  3. He walked into the room only to find a dead body on the floor and two people sitting casually on the couch.
  4. I turned the corner in my car and immediately slammed on my brakes as he was standing in the street, his arms crossed angrily.
  5. Ordinarily this late at night, I would gently close the door so I wouldn’t wake anyone, but there was a psychotic killer behind me, so I slammed it. 
  6. I reached under my jacket to feel what was wet and my hand came out from under my coat covered in my own blood. 
  7. I would have said something different had I known it was going to be the last time I was going to see her alive.
  8. In all the universes, in all the galaxies, on all the space stations, on all the docking bay substations, of all the gin joints on the promenade, she had to walk into mine.
  9. Awkwardly enough, him tied and gagged to a chair was ALSO how they first met.
  10. I was tired, had been tired for quite some time, and was going to continue to be tired until I killed that sick psycho.
  11. If I had a nickel for every time I got turned into the feds by a bitter ex-boyfriend, I’d have 15 cents. 
  12. In time, he, too, would come to hate her and loathe her very existence, but tonight she was a wondrous ball of light and happiness in a sexy, black, cocktail dress. 
  13. After about three or four go’s at it, she gave up and went home, realizing she wasn’t destined for a life of crime. 
  14. As I looked around the room, the smoke, the laughing, the cynicism, the lies, masks, I realized that I was in the wrong place.
  15. Twisting off the cap, taking a deep breath, I leaned back and chugged, hoping to come out the other side in one piece.
  16. Obviously, he was going to kill this man by the end of the night, but for now they had good brews, good ambiance, and he was good company. 
  17. If I walked forward, I would walk out on stage, but if I stayed still, the man would pull the trigger. 
  18. I didn’t see the attack coming, but I should have known it would come from her.
  19. Somewhere along the road, at exactly what hour into the road trip I’m not sure, I began to realize how little I needed him in my life. 
  20. Ostensibly, I would have to burn everything, kill everyone in the office, and and move across the country in shame if she said no, but I think it was worth it to ask her out on one date. 
  21. Had I not seen him myself, I would never have believed he was alive. 
  22. I read it over and over again until I was 100% sure that I just been given the order to assassinate myself. 
  23. Obviously I was going to have to take matters into my own hands, and that involved a prison break.
  24. "Where did it go?" she mumbled over and over again, sitting on the floor, back against the door, half empty bottle of wine in one hand and a handgun in the other.
  25. Over the course of the semester, she would come to love him, but right now she wanted to stab him in the neck. 
  26. In that moment, I could see it all, I can feel everything, and I knew I was about to die.
  27. As I glanced over, the road zooming by, I could see the train was coming, but instead of slowing down, I pushed the gas pedal to the floor. 
  28. He was dead, but that didn’t seem to stop him from standing in front of me, waving awkwardly. 
  29. If I stayed, I’d most likely die a painful and horrible death, but if I left, he would suffer that fate for me.

    And then that's all I've got stored up, but if you've got a preferred genre or some other alternate setting or scenario you'd like to see, I am glad to oblige.

    Any combination or any of the above. One AU setting with a single character or one item from each list with three different characters. Anything you've got, I will give it my best shot.

    And because I just realized it might make life easier to have a short review of what characters I have written and posted in the past (collected by story):

  • Breen and Garrett (concentration camp survivors, alternate verse)
  • Cameron Armstrong, Ruusan Schaefe/Armstrong/Vhander (kids: Vivian, Ellora, Connor) Jaydn Schaefe, Jasen Drouais, Novarr and Sarris Schaefe (Zephron verse with Penny Kearney)
  • Dechlan Scott, Jandy and Jane Sparks, Teagan and Gage Daxton (mentally linked dyads, Shattered Cage)
  • Gil and Lorelai (sci-fi undercover)
  • Jaz O'Haire, Haydn, other teammates (amnesiac black-ops captain turned leader of Busan)
  • Ianthe and Isra (twin sisters, elder taken, desert land)
  • Jaq and Alec (dragon-shifter, desert land)
  • Kadin (futuristic professional fighter)
  • Lane and Tess (amnesia, long-lived characters)
  • Anastasia and Caesar (far more established long-lived characters)
  • Sean and Lindsey (neighbor kids, her parents killed in a shoot-up of the house)
  • Kelsey Delanie and Sergeant Alexander Marks (military verse; soldier and nurse)
  • Nuada and Argyros Sylvester, Maggie, Carson, and Max (modern fantasy)
  • Tatsuo and Shard (fantasy, dragon kind and elf)

    I added some taglines for what story the characters belong to, but if you're still confused, check the tag box off to the right for the name of who you're looking for. First name and it's alphabetized, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

    Well, then. I hope this makes sense and that it piques your interest as much as it has mine. If it does and you get this incredible urge to see Jandy and Jane Sparks in a college setting, drop me a comment (or send me a message if you're connected with me elsewhere) and I'll type you up something. I will be attempting to do five-hundred word minimums, but I never know when inspiration will strike, so there could be some long ones.

    As always, thank you for following my blog and taking an interest in my writing. See this as a way of my thanking you. ^_^ 

    Ad astra per aspera.
    To the stars, through difficulties.

6 comments:

  1. I nominated you for the Liebster Award at our blog. :) Just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks! I have done a Google search, read your blog post, and will now follow the code of conduct regarding this award that I had no idea about ten minutes ago. :D

      Delete
    2. That was basically my reaction when I got nominated.
      "What is this thing?"

      Delete
    3. Lol, yes, pretty much. Now I feel bad because I don't know of many blogs to nominate. >_o

      Delete
  2. Okay, so Jandy and Dech play bodyguard to Sean and Lindsey, because Jaydn and Jasen are trying to kill them. Then use, "Where did it go?" she mumbled over and over again, sitting on the floor, back against the door, half empty bottle of wine in one hand and a handgun in the other." And I want to know who snores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is fantastic. XD You'll have to give me a few days to both formulate a game plan and play pseudo-mom, but this has major potential for several thousand words. And thanks for the prompt. :D

      Delete

Questions, comments, critiques?